Saturday, May 5, 2012

Support in New Friends

Today, I went to my very first ever Support Group. We sat and talked about our journeys with cancer. I wasn't crazy about going at first because I don't like talking in groups of people I don't know, no matter what the size. I'm a one-on-one kinda person with counseling or venting. I learn a lot from listening to others and taking notes.
I saw in a group of 9 women, including myself, as we introduced ourselves, shared what type of cancer we were fighting, where we were in our fight (diagnosis, what kind of treatment, etc.), and finally any questions about today's topic of discussion - communicating with your doctors and nurses. 
I have always thought you just go in to a doctor's office or the hospital and let them do whatever because they always know best. Today, I learned that is not always the case. Not that I lost confidence in all doctors, but the importance of speaking up on my own behalf. Being my own advocate. Here are some important things I learned ...
- I can ask as many questions as I want. I shouldn't worry about taking up my doctor's time because he or she has someone else more important to see.
- If I know something doesn't work for me, then say it. They aren't in my body and do not feel what I'm feeling. 
- Write your questions down. It's ok to take someone with you or write things down.
- If your doctor doesn't know something about what you're feeling, they can't help.
- Be your own advocate - you can and should speak up
It was nice to be surrounded by other women who are going through the same stuff. Even though the majority of women in the group either was being treated for and completed treatment for breast cancer, I often saw us shaking our heads at similar comments or questions.
At the end of the session, when we were leaving, one of the ladies stopped me and asked me what I was having done for surgery. I explained everything to her. She had a really neat cap on so I asked her where she bought it. I have one, but this one was like a breathable beanie. She took it off and said, "Here, take mine. I have lots of others at home." I was shocked that she just gave me her hat. She was fine with walking out of the hospital with a bald head. She asked me if I'd lost all of my hair yet and I took my cap off to show her I still had these fuzzy hairs that were just hanging on. She laughed and then helped me put my cap back on. As we were walking out, I told her she was my blessing for the day. :) Her spontaneous generosity blew me away. I know God will give me an opportunity in the future to bless someone else.
I didn't have my surgery on Friday because some wounded soldiers were in need of it more. So the new surgery date is May 11. For all of you who prayed, thanks. I'm looking forward to a week that isn't full of appointments. Now I KNOW I'll be 100% for surgery on that day.

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord for sending you a new cap and new friends. Sounds like very good advice. Maybe you will have the opportunity to encourage someone to get into the support group earlier in their challenge with cancer. God is already using you through this mountain. Love you Lindsey! LS

    ReplyDelete