Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Medical Updates

I'm not sure if I put this earlier in the blog, but I've had people ask me. The name of my tumor was pineoblastoma. It was a malignant tumor meaning cancerous. I was not surprised by being told I had cancer because I thought it'd be too easy to just have a tumor then have it taken out and then I was done. I knew God had more than that.
So that's the name of the tumor. It's usually found in children (go figure, someone who works with children gets a tumor that's found in kids) and found in less than 1% in adults. Meaning this thing is pretty rare and the doctors are following the way I react to things pretty closely. I've been asked to do lots of experimental things. I'm not signing up for any volunteer surgeries, I just told them they can use what has happened already and follow my progress. I'm not ready to be a guinea pig or experimental piece. But I do want to be a help to those who may be in my shoes in the future. Having so many doctors scratch their heads at my case is not always encouraging. Also, with being in the less than 1% category, I'm praying they can customize my plan for exactly what I need. Only the Lord knows!
Today, I started a process of shots called lupron. It's used to put my ovaries to sleep during the chemo and radiation. The gynecologist told me that if I were to have a menstrual cycle during chemo and radiation, my body could bleed at the level of needing a transfusion. I've had one of those and it was painful. They had the blood going in at a pretty quick rate (probably necessary) and it wasn't fun. I felt every bit of it.
I wasn't worried about the part of the ovaries waking back up and ability to get pregnant and all that, because I serve a God who is BIG and MIGHTY and there's nothing my God cannot do! So after some discussion and research, Andrew and I decided it was the best way to go. The shots are every month (in my rearend - embarrassing with all my stretch marks!) until my chemo is completely done. Other than having a sore behind, I think I'll thank myself later. Especially if that means having another sweet baby. If not, it's okay. God has given us a strong desire to adopt internationally and now we know why!!
That's all for now. I have an MRI on Friday (which means another IV poke because they have to sedate me. I freak out inside those things. They're really loud. I can't even pray!) Then next week I go to the opthamologist for my eyes and hopefully the oncologist to hear my game plan for chemo and radiation and start this new normal for me. I just want to start to get done. Just do it!!
Have you shared a blessing with anyone yet? Don't forget, God might open a door so you can tell them the Good News!!! Just do it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment